Monday, July 7, 2014

Somebody Talk Me Out of This!

     A few years ago I was introduced to the Camino de Santiago trail in Spain.  We were visiting Ron's sister, June, and her hubby, Chuck, in Raleigh, North Carolina.  It was a rainy day.  Ron and Chuck went to Bass Pro to kill time.  June and I watched the movie The Way with Martin Sheen and his son, Emilio Estevez.  This was the first time I had ever heard about this spiritual trek to visit the burial of Saint James.  It was very, very inspiring.   At the end of the movie, June and I vowed to do the trail some day.  I even printed out the 500 mile trail map and put it on my refrigerator.  After about a year, I threw the map away, thinking it was just a fantasy.  

     Recently, my inspiration has been renewed.   A local sixty year old couple is half way through the trail now.  Gregg writes a blog about their daily experience, including candid descriptions of the scenery, the people from all over the world they meet, the hostels they sleep in,  and their  aches, pains, and blisters from walking 15-20 miles per day.  They've been on the trail for about five weeks.

   A week or so ago, Ron and I went to see the documentary entitled, "Walking the Camino" at a small local theater. This film tracked six "pilgrims" from around the world who risked blisters and exhaustion to do the 500 mile hike. The ages ranged from a young woman who pushed her 3 year-old son in a stroller to a couple of 70 and 80 years young men.  A retired army officer who had completed the trek was at the theater to introduce the screening.  Once again I am encouraged to take on this humongous challenge!
Photo from Walking the Camino documentary
     So what is this trail about?  It is a Christian pilgrimage to visit the burial location of Saint James, one of Jesus' apostles. There are two stories that tell how his body got there.  One of the legends holds his remains were carried by boat from Jerusalem to northern Spain where he was buried on what is now the city of  Santiago de Compostela, Spain.  Traditionally, the Way of Saint James began at one's home and ended at the pilgrimage site with the goal to feel the spiritual influence. The main routes were highly traveled during the Middle Ages. Today, thousands of "pilgrims"  set out to make their way to Santiago de Compostela.  The majority are hikers who walk the route for non-religious reasons: travel, sport, or simply the challenge of weeks of walking in a foreign land. No matter the driving force, many ultimately consider the experience a spiritual adventure of self reflection and renewal.

Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela
      I want to think I can do this---maybe next June when the weather is accommodating.  I have ordered two books.  One is entitled, A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean • Roncesvalles • Santiago (Camino Guides),’'which includes maps and more detailed information about preparation, costs, the daily itinerary, etc., and is written by someone who has done it.  I also ordered A Million Steps by Kurt Koontz who documents his experiences and how it affected him physically and emotionally.

      Ron is supportive of this crazy idea and says he will meet me at the end with a bottle of wine to celebrate my completion.  My son, Craig, is considering meeting me some where a long the way to walk with me (and provide acupuncture treatments).  A friend says she might do a hundred miles with me. 

      To be honest, I'm a little intimidated. I don't have the answers to my fears yet. I vacillate daily from "you can do it!" to "are you crazy!" 

      I am an ambivert which means I like to be around people but also am quite comfortable with solitude.  Will I adjust to sleeping in hostels with complete strangers---men and women---from all over the world?  Past hikers indicate, in addition to the awesome spiritual and scenic experience, meeting so many different "pilgrims" is a highlight of the adventure.

      I guess the biggest concern is my endurance.    Can I meet the physical challenges of walking 15-20 miles per day from one hostel to another for 40 or so days?  After all, I will be nearly 68 by the time I begin. I've also had occasional bouts of arthritis in my legs and knees in the past few years.  This always gets better with acupuncture, drinking tart cherry juice, and physical therapy.  Although, I have not received my books yet to guide me, common sense tells me I have to increase my walking now.  Consequently, in the last five days, I've gone from my normal average 2-3 miles of walking, 3-4 times per week to 5-6 miles every day.  Each day, for the first four days, my legs ached.  At the end of the day I was really tired.   For some reason, walking was not as strenuous today and my legs feel better.  Is my body beginning to adapt or did the hour long yoga class before I started walking make the difference?  Time will tell.  I plan to gradually increase the distance every week or so.

       Maybe I'll feel more confident by Christmas.  This should give me ample time to make travel arrangements.  Unless of course, somebody talks me out of it before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment